The Best Attendant Propelled Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great attendant propelled wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying attendant propelled wheelchairs, please click here.
There are some times when you don’t want your difficulty with walking to stop you from doing what you enjoy doing but you may still need some little help anyway. An attendant propelled wheelchair refers to the wheelchair that allows you to do those activities that you need to do with very little help. But what are attendant propelled wheelchairs well these are the types of wheelchairs that are designed in such a way that they are supposed to be pushed by somebody.
Apart from being lightweight they also feature smaller back wheels and are foldable for easy transportation. Unlike other wheelchairs, these ones are mostly used outdoors. They are also used in institutions and hospitals to transport the patients who are either too weak to walk or who cannot move alone by themselves. The attendant is usually either a family member or someone who is close to the person using the wheelchair. If you are shopping for the best attendant propelled wheelchairs, click here to read our in-depth review.
Benefits of attendant propelled wheelchairs
Although these wheelchairs are designed to be pushed by another person, they are some of the most suitable wheelchairs for traveling and occasional use. They also have their own benefits that you can always enjoy once you buy them. Here some of their benefits
• They are easy to transport. These attendant propelled wheelchairs are sometimes known as transit wheelchairs since they are easy to transport from one place to another. Many of these models are also build with half folding backs hence can comfortably be folded and kept inside the boot of a car. Or even tucked away inside a cupboard. Some of them are also fitted with handles and footrests that can be folded down further to reduce the size.
• Lightweight. Most of thee wheelchairs are made using aluminum frames instead of steel hence are lightweight in nature. Although this may make them a bit expensive it means that they are lightweight. As compared to self-propelled wheelchairs they also have smaller wheels that significantly boost their maneuverability this also makes them very easy to lift from one place to another.
• They are suitable for occasional use. Since these chairs are lightweight in nature it means that they are the most suitable wheelchairs if you are looking for one for occasional use. Many people feel that they sometimes get tired or even weak after walking for long hence they feel reassured that they have the kind of wheelchairs that they can use occasionally. This is according to National Wheelchairs Services.
• They are the best for those who have an upper-body weakness. According to National Wheelchair Services, these wheelchairs are the best choice for any person who suffers disability or who may experience some weakness in their hands. If you are unable to push yourself and you are looking for a wheelchair that you can use indoors then they are the best wheelchairs to choose.
Differences between self-propelled and attendant propelled wheelchair
If you are planning to purchase a wheelchair then you probably know what you are looking for. Since there are two major types of wheelchairs namely attendant and self-propelled wheelchairs you need to know what you need before choosing one. While self-propelled wheelchairs come with larger rear wheels with push rim, the attendant propelled ones do not have these.
Also known as transit wheelchairs attendant propelled wheelchairs are the type of wheelchairs which is being propelled by the attendant. This means as compared to the self-propelled wheelchair they have smaller back wheels. This means that the family member or the caregiver can easily and quickly enable the wheelchair user to move locations without any issues. If you need more information check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
Since these wheelchairs have lighter frames with smaller wheels it means that they are best suited for short-distance travel. These types of wheelchairs also come with strong ergonomic handles that will help the caregiver or the wheelchair pusher to push the wheelchair. These wheelchairs also come with cable brakes to provide one with extra control and security especially when someone is going on steep inclines.
If you don’t have the upper body strength then attendant propelled wheelchair may be the best wheelchair for you. Also, many models can be easily transported and compactly stored inside the boot of car thanks to their removable footrests and folding backrests. Because of this, you can always have them wherever you need. These wheelchairs also come with flip-up armrests to ensure that they work well. Because of this, you can always avoid any awkward transfers and just stay sitting in a wheelchair.
The top attendant propelled wheelchair safety tips
When used properly the best attendant propelled wheelchair can play a very important role in helping people with mobility issues enjoy their lives and maintain some form of independence. Those who might not be able to move themselves attendant propelled wheelchairs can help the caregivers to transfer them from one place to the other both in a care environment and in the hospital. It therefore upon the caregiver to ensure that he or she knows how to use the wheelchair well. Sometimes this might mean figuring out how to manage the weight while pushing the other person in the wheelchair here are some general safety tips that you have to put into consideration.
When necessary always ensure that you use the wheelchair brakes well
Most attendant propelled wheelchairs come with breaks that you can always apply when the wheelchair is not in motion. Those who are propelling the wheelchairs should, therefore, make sure that they use the brakes appropriately especially when they are going down the inclines. They should also apply the brakes when transferring them from the chair to the bath or to other places as well. However, if you want to give them the freedom to use the brakes alone then it’s important to consider using brake extensions to make them a lot easy to manage their motion. When conducting any wheelchair transfer you need to ensure
• The leg rests are removed or swung to the side before the transfer.
• You apply the wheelchair brakes before you can transfer the patient in and out of the chair.
• Keep any loose objects away from the wheelchair spokes.
• Follow the guidelines that are provided for positioning supports, trays and belts as recommended by the caregiver.
Always ensure that the person is sitting comfortably on the wheelchair
Using a wheelchair for long periods of time can usually cause some form of discomfort and pain, especially in the, wring circumstances. Because of this, it’s very important to ensure that the care recipient is always as comfortable as possible while using the wheelchair. If a health service provides offer some advice on the best way to use a wheelchair then you should always remind the wheelchair user on what they are supposed to do. Also, the light cushioning of wheelchair should help manage things such as posture and pressure distribution when the patient is sitting in the wheelchair for long periods of time. Before transferring the patient it’s very important to ensure that the cushion is placed well to reduce the risk of them feeling uncomfortable for long.
Whenever possible encourage communication
One of the easiest ways that you can ensure that wheelchair user users experience is as comfortable as possible is to communicate with them regularly. Good communication means that that you can always remind them to change position if need be on the same note the more comfortable the wheelchair user feels while communicating with you the more likely that they will easily ask for assistance especially if they are having trouble reaching the items that they need or if they are feeling uncomfortable while using the wheelchair. Always ensure that they can come to you when they are experiencing any issues in the wheelchair. This will significantly help them to keep any discomfort or unnecessary injuries while using the wheelchair.
Choose the right clothes
There are several articles of clothing that are not good to be worn on a wheelchair. For instance, zippers, hard to use clothes and intricate closures are some of the clothes that are not easy to wear on a wheelchair. In addition, these clothes can easily rub off their delicate skins thus making them and uncomfortable and even causing pressure ulcers. Better clothing, therefore, includes pull on clothing, Velcro, and even wraps or ponchos instead of bulky clothing. You can also choose clothing that will allow your loved one to be stylish while using the wheelchair.
Choose the right support
There are still several things that can be used to make the wheelchair-bound person feel more comfortable. These items include the right foot support that can significantly promote the right posture and promote proper blood circulation. Using the right pad can also add some comfort to the wheelchair and also help a lot in the prevention of ulcers. In case of inconsistency is an issue then waterproof pads can also be added to protect their delicate skins. And ensure that the wheelchair is protected from getting damaged.
Get the right attendant propelled wheelchair accessories
When using the best attendant propelled wheelchairs it’s also very important to choose the best accessories. The good thing is that nowadays there is a range of accessories that can be attached to the wheelchair for these people to use. For instance, they use special cushion there are a variety of wheelchair cushions that you can always buy for them to use. These accessories and different add-ons can, therefore, make using the wheelchair a lot easier and also allow them to have some form of independence while using the wheelchair.
How to take care of attendant propelled wheelchairs
A smooth wheelchair ride not only decreases upper extremity but also encourages efficient propulsions of the wheelchair. Without proper wheelchair maintenance, an individual can easily feel as if their wheelchair is no longer functioning the way it’s supposed to. As a wheelchair user, you may realize after some time that the wheelchair is increasingly becoming harder and harder to push. Some caregivers may even feel as if they are pushing the wheelchairs through the mud or other places that they are not supposed to push the wheelchair.
Generally, it’s recommended to inspect your wheelchair at least once every month. This will help you know when you or your caregiver should service the wheelchair so it can be in a good working condition. At your wheelchair fitting and delivery, your caregiver should discuss with you the importance of wheelchair maintenance to ensure that they remain in good working condition. This should also let you know the effect that this can have on the performance of your wheelchair. Here are some of the parts that you need to focus on when looking after your wheelchair.
Some of the items that you need to check and maintain regularly include front casters, rear tires, and caster bearings, check out for wear and tear. You also need to check for bulges, looseness, flat or worn out parts of the tire. All these components of the wheelchair tires are always in direct contact with a variety of surfaces hence monitoring them for repair and maintenance is always very important especially if you want them to remain in good working condition.
If you want to always feel comfortable while using the wheelchair then it’s very important to inspect the wheelchair cushions and its covers and ensure that that there are no tears or holes. Remember if you expose your skin to wrinkled or damaged fabric you can easily cause pressure ulcer or skin abrasion to your skin. You should, therefore, ensure that the attaching hardware that you are using on your wheelchair is secure. You also need to remember that after some time the upholstery that you are using can easily lose its sling and shape. This can easily cause changes in pressure posture and sitting balance of your wheelchair and even make it hard to push the wheelchair efficiently
General cleaning of the wheelchair
One of the most basic maintenance procedure involves wiping your attendant propelled wheelchair frame with soap and water and ensure that your dry it thoroughly especially if it gets wet. You should also store your wheelchair inside the house to preventing it from absorbing moisture. Also, remove any dirt and hair from the wheels so that it remains in a good working state. To be sure that it works well you should also clean the quick release axle and ensure that you lubricate it will generally it’s very important that you schedule a professional wheelchair maintenance service at least once a year so your wheelchair can always remain working well.
Check out today’s top 10 attendant Propelled wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for choosing the best attendant propelled wheelchairs
Since there are many types of attendants propelled wheelchairs you need to know what you are looking for so you can choose the best one. If you are not sure about how to choose it’s important to consult a therapist or specialist to help you with this. This way you’ll always end up with the best. Here are some of the tips that will help you buy one.
• Know how long you’ll be using your wheelchair. Before anything else you need to ask yourself how long you’ll be using your wheelchair. You need to know whether you are planning to use it full time or just on certain occasions.
• Know the type of wheelchair that you need. From lightweight to ultra-lightweight wheelchairs there are several attendants propelled wheelchairs that you can choose. So the best thing is to know what you are looking for so you get the best.
• The weight of the wheelchair. It’s also important to understand the weight of the wheelchair that you are looking for. Ask yourself whether the wheelchair is big or not and whether it’s easy to push and lift in and out of the car. The wheelchair that you choose should also be easy to store.
• Comfort. This is one of the most important things that you need to consider if you intend to use your wheelchair for long. You, therefore, need to ask yourself whether your wheelchair ahs backrest that high enough and cushions that are padded you also need to check whether the armrest can be moved and the footrests can be adjusted. In other words, you need to know whether the wheelchair can be adjustable to your needs.
• Fit. Since there are different wheelchair sizes it’s very important to try all of them so you can end up with the best one for your needs and body shape.
• Storage. Since most wheelchairs usually fold upwards it’s very important to consider the folding mechanism of the wheelchair so you can always get the best one.
• Price and budget. When looking for the best attendant propelled wheelchair you need to know your budget. Considering this is very important if you are shopping for the best wheelchairs for sale.
If you are looking for the best attendant propelled wheelchair, it’s a handy tip to keep any that you may consider inside the basket so you can have a look at it later.