The Best Bariatric Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great bariatric wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying bariatric wheelchairs, please click here.
You may have asked yourself what would have I ever do without my wheelchair? well, that’s a question that several people ask all the time and are not sure what they can be able to do next. While there are several wheelchairs in the market, there are some that you can use everywhere and others that a little bit difficult to use in some places. However, one of the best wheelchairs out there is a bariatric power wheelchair. But what are they and what differentiates them from other wheelchairs out there?
Also, known to as heavy-duty wheelchair a bariatric power wheelchair with tilt refers to a wide wheelchair that comes with a lot of weight capacity, supported cross braces, and several other design features to ensure that there is reliable strength to support the extra support. Whether it’s the wide seat plan or an extra weight capacity these kinds of wheelchairs have everything that you need. The good thing is that there are several of them in the market hence you can always choose one for your needs. If you are shopping for the best bariatric power wheelchair or bariatric reclining wheelchair click here to read about our in-depth review
More information about bariatric wheelchair
A bariatric wheelchair is generally designed to take care of the needs of those who are not only heavier but also larger than the normal wheelchairs. Some of the main features found in these wheelchairs include
• Reinforced design and stronger materials.
• Wider seat constructed if heavier metal.
• Heavy-duty footrests
• Different adjustments to accommodate different body sizes.
• This is perhaps the reason why these chairs are sometimes known as high capacity wheelchairs.
Why bariatric wheelchairs and bariatric shower wheelchairs are important
These types of wheelchairs may be needed in situations where the weight of the patient using the regular wheelchair makes them unsafe and unpractical. Since most regular wheelchairs only weight 250 or 300 pounds failure to take care of this weight may make cause serious injuries especially if the frames of these wheelchairs breaks or if they can no longer work the way they are supposed to in such a situation a bariatric wheelchair may be the best option. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
As compared to the normal wheelchairs a bariatric wheelchair also comes with wider seats that make them easier to use for those who are heavyweight. Like a normal wheelchair, a bariatric wheelchair is normally used after medical treatment or surgery that limits the patient’s mobility. They may also be needed when an overweight patient can no longer use their own legs due to one thing or another.
Also, with the best bariatric wheelchairs, you can leave your home go shopping, and visit the neighbors and friends without the risk of being in a compromising or an uncomfortable situation. This greater mobility that they provide also leads to greater socialization with other people. This is very important for improving the quality of life that they need.
You need to know that bariatric wheelchairs do not just bring about improved mobility. They also bring about the possibility of security and increases comfort for the users thus making them some of the best wheelchairs in the market. This is why they are designed specifically to accommodate the increased weight and size of the user and so that they enjoy the comfortable experience while using the wheelchair. This, therefore, makes them some of the best wheelchairs out there. Since these chairs are made in such a way that they distribute the weight of user they can comfortably do this without any issue at all.
Bariatric wheelchairs vs. normal wheelchairs
When it comes to the difference between bariatric wheelchairs and standard wheelchairs there are distinct differences in constructions and use Here are some of the things that make them different.
The width of the seat
Although normal wheelchairs come with seats that are between 16 and 18 inches, bariatric wheelchair seats are much wide and have a range of up to 20 inches. This makes them the most suitable wheelchairs for larger people.
While almost all wheelchairs come with some form of adjustments bariatric wheelchairs offer have several adjustments to accommodate patients and people of various sizes and shapes. This means that these people will always be comfortable while using them than when they are using other wheelchairs out there.
As compared to the standard wheelchairs, bariatric wheelchairs are typically made of steel frames that are sturdier. Also, these frames are thicker and stronger than the ones found in other normal wheelchairs out there. Their steel frame will, therefore, provide the support and strength that’s needed to support heavier users. This also means that they will be substantially heavier than other wheelchairs in the market. They also have heavy-duty seats that are designed to cater for more weight. In addition, they have bariatric wheelchair cushions.
While most standard wheelchairs are designed such that 80& of the user’s weight falls over the rear axle to ensure that the person pushing or pulling the chair has an easier time. On the contrary, the center of the body mass of an obese person may always be located several inches forward as compared to the average weight person. With that said bariatric wheelchairs have forward-shifted rear axles to ensure that over 80% of the user’s body weight is put over the axle. The modified location of this axle also makes it much easier for the person to push the chair since reaching the wheels can be a bit difficult if they are located far much behind the person.
Difference between bariatric wheelchair and bariatric transport wheelchair
Although bariatric wheelchair and bariatric transport wheelchair serve the same purpose they are usually propelled in different ways. While bariatric transport wheelchair is designed in such a way that it’s supposed to be pushed by another person in the wheelchair a bariatric wheelchair is designed so that it can be pushed by someone else. This means that a transport bariatric wheelchair is suitable in situations where a person does not have enough strength to push the wheelchair on their own. For more details check www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
Main types of bariatric wheelchairs
Medline bariatric wheelchair
Are you bigger, taller and experiencing several mobility issues? Have you been struggling to find a wheelchair that’s big enough yet comfortable for your needs? If your answer is yes to these questions then Medline bariatric wheelchairs should be the right wheelchairs for your needs and maybe the wheelchairs that you are looking for. However, as compared to other chairs this chair is not just meant for anyone. As a matter of fact, buying wheelchairs that too big a so comes with its own share of problems since pushing or driving it may require you to have a lot of strength.
The idea is, therefore, to get a wheelchair that you feel is comfortable for you and that’s big enough for you to fit comfortably inside it while still providing you with some little room that you can spare. If you get a chair that’s too small then you may not be able to use it all if you get one that’s too big you’ll only be able to use it with very little help.
Although no wheelchair has ever claimed to be truly stylish, you tell that the design team of this unique wheelchair put some through its design. It comes with a chrome coated carbon steel that gives it a certain gleam that fits nicely on its padded navy seating and sleek black mag wheels. Although most standard wheelchair frames are nowadays made of solid aluminum the upgrade to carbon steel is what makes this wheelchair being able to support such great weight comfortably. On the flip side, it’s also what makes it considered one of the heaviest wheelchairs in the market. Coming at 59 pounds it may be too heavy for carrying it in and out of a vehicle without any help. However, if you have a truck or an SUV transporting it won’t come with any difficulties. These are some of the features that it also comes with
• Comfort and adjustability. Apart from the seat, the other thing that you can always adjust in this wheelchair is the footrests. As for comfort, their padded vinyl seat cushion and seatback are adequate but a bit overwhelming. However, if you will be spending a lot of time in the wheelchair then you may have to put some extra cushion on it to ensure that you remain comfortable while using it.
• Onboard storage and other extras. As compared to other wheelchairs this wheelchair boasts of moderately roomy storage that situated at the back of the seat. They also provide some extra accessories that you can always buy including elevating leg rests and safety belts. However, the leg rests that come with them swing away which allows the person using the wheelchair to wheel away and enjoy a meal on a dinner table without having to be transferred from the wheelchair to the normal chair. While the options chairs can also do that they also elevate thus making them the best to choose.
• No assembly required or real learning curve. Of all the chairs that they make Medline is very good in this aspect. This means that a good number of their chairs come when they are already assembled. Because of this you only need to get ready for your first ride once you’ve bought them. So there is not so much to adjust and no learning curve that you have to go through. Apart from taking a minute or two to get used to how it handles work there is not much that you need to know about these chairs.
Drive medical bariatric wheelchair
Dive medical bariatric wheelchair refers to a wheelchair that’s not only easy to use but also versatile and easy to transport from one place to another. This is means if you are looking for the best transport wheelchair then it’s exactly what you need. The first thing that you’ll notice about this wheelchair is that it has a big, burly, design that practically radiates ruggedness and stability. As compared to other chairs it’s not an especially an attractive wheelchair since transport wheelchairs are rarely made to be with aesthetics in mind. The good thing is that it does its job so well that you don’t have to worry once you get one for your needs.
Since it’s a bariatric wheelchair is much wider than the other wheelchair models. The good thing is that it’s still trim enough to be able to comfortably fit in through most standard doorways. However, while passing through the doorways you must ensure that your hands are tucked away inside the armrests since there is no room to spare.
But just like all the other transport wheelchairs, it comfortably collapses into a reasonable small footprint which is quite suitable however because it was meant to hold more weight it’s a bit heavier than all other transport wheelchairs out there. However, with just a total weight of 36 pounds, it should not be big present you big challenge when it comes to loading it on and out of the car or trunk. You also need to know that unlike other transport wheelchairs when you fold it up you can also use the push bar as a handle. This is very nice as it makes it even much easier to maneuver.
More so, while most wheelchairs come with handles at the back this one does things in a much more different way. I the place of the normal handled it has an aluminum bar that covers the entire width of the backseat although this is a very small change you’ll be amazed at the difference that it has to make. For instance, the bar will provide assistance with much more flexibility and allow him or her to maintain a more natural posture thus being able to provide support for a longer time without getting tired.
The good things with these chairs are that they can comfortably handle different terrains without any issue at all. This is because their real wheelchairs are much larger than the front wheels to give you an easier time while navigating through the terrains. This makes them the most suitable wheelchairs to handle difficult terrains. If you are using it outdoors for the first time you’ll definitely love what’s it’s capable of doing.
Check out today’s top 10 bariatric wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for choosing the best bariatric wheelchair
Just like other types of wheelchairs out there choosing a bariatric wheelchair can be a bit challenging. This is because they always come in different wheel styles, weight capacities,, seating and cushions and armrests. Here are some tips that should help you choose the best one for your needs.
• Mobility. Since the main work of bariatric wheelchairs is to provide one with increases mobility it’s very important to ask yourself whether you’ll get the kind of mobility that you are looking for. You, therefore, need to look at its constructions, wheels, and tire where you’ll comfortably use it.
• Comfort. As a wheelchair user comfort should always be your number one priority. You, therefore, need to choose a wheelchair that will ensure you are always comfortable. The wheelchair that you choose should come with bariatric cushions wing away legs and extendable armrests. However, since most of them are created to maximize your comfort you should not have a hard time choosing one.
• Take proper bariatric wheelchair measurements. It’s very critical to pay also of attention to different bariatric wheelchair sizes that will determine whether you are comfortable in the wheelchair or not. Although their seat width can go even up to 24 inches this is not the only measurement that you should think of. Other measurements that you need to take include shoulder width, chest width, hip-width, seat to floor, seat depth among others.
• Focus on the carrying capacity. As compared to the standard wheelchairs bariatric wheelchairs are designed to carry a heavier load. However, there are still lightweight bariatric wheelchairs and heavyweight ones hence you always need to choose the one that you are looking for. Overall depending on the model, most bariatric wheelchairs can always handle even up to 450 lbs.
• High-quality materials. Most bariatric wheelchairs are built with high-quality steel and then reinforced with steel bars to continue to offer them the support that they need. You’ll also realize that there are differences in the materials used on the casters, wheels, and leg rests as well. Typically steel, aluminum, and iron are some of the materials that you need to consider when looking for the best one. Thinking about this is very important when one is looking for the best wheelchairs for sale.
• Categories. You also need to know the category and the type that you are looking for. From transport wheelchair to extra wide to extra large there are several categories to choose from you just need to know what you are looking for and choose the best one for your needs.
That’s all about bariatric wheelchairs. If you are shopping for one it’s important to keep any that you find inside the basket so you can have a look it later on. This will ensure that you get the best one for your needs.