The Best Electrical Wheelchairs In 2021
Are you looking for a great electrical wheelchairs bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best electrical wheelchairs, please click here.
Although many people depend on wheelchairs for their daily use, those who have greater mobility issues may realize that using a manual wheelchair is too taxing. For these people, the answer is getting an electric wheelchair. Also known as a power wheelchair or an electric powered wheelchair, an electrical wheelchair refers to a wheelchair that’s propelled by a battery motor or an electric system. The only effort that you need as a user is using a button or to drive it using a joystick.
If you’re in the market for the best electric wheelchair brands, buying an electric can greatly boost your independence, enhance your maneuverability and allow you to move around your home while engaging in some basic activities. You can also use this type of wheelchair outdoors or when traveling especially if you usually struggle a lot while walking around. While an electrical wheelchair can be a very important upgrade the decision to buy one should not be taken lightly. This is because you should ensure that you are getting value for your money. If you are looking for the best electrical wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review of the best ones.
Why you need to get an electrical wheelchair
• Electrical wheelchairs do the work for you. As compared to manual wheelchairs, a collapsible electric wheelchair will always ensure that they do the work for you. Although many wheelchairs users good get themselves around with manual wheelchairs there are some places and inclines that might prove a bit hard just for everyone. There are also some people who don’t have the strength that can enable them to move their wheelchairs from one point to another.
• Electrical wheelchairs can easily stop accidental rolling from happening. Once a manual wheelchair starts to roll it can be very hard to stop. Thankfully, the best lightweight electric wheelchair can always be prevented from manual rolling that may happen along the way. As a matter of fact, with just the movement of the joystick, these wheelchairs can always easily be stopped. For more information check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
• They are sturdier. Weight can be one of the most daunting aspects of a manual wheelchair especially if you want to move with it from one point to another. However, that weight can also be beneficial. This is because the center of gravity of the best electric wheelchair scooter is much lower. This is according to electric wheelchair reviews.
• The best electrical wheelchairs usually provide more power. Since electrical wheelchairs have more power you can always use them as long as the battery is fully charged or as long as there is enough source of power.
• They are comfortable. If you purchase the right electrical wheelchairs be ready to enjoy the comfort that they usually come with. Since these wheelchairs come with suspension, adjustable footrests, and changeable cushions you’ll always enjoy using them.
• They are quite easy to use. Unlike manual wheelchairs, the best electric wheelchair for the elderly is very easy to use. Even for those users that don’t have enough strength in their upper bodies provided they know how to operate the joystick they can always comfortably use the wheelchairs.
Types of electrical wheelchairs
Standard electrical wheelchairs
These are the types of electrical wheelchairs that only come with normal features such as joystick controls, around 15 hours of battery life and cushioned seats that will ensure they are comfortable.
Power electrical wheelchairs
These types of electrical wheelchairs are usually made with comfort in mind. This is because they resemble and look like full-sized chairs. They also come with features such as tilt and recline functions and headrests.
Vertical electrical wheelchairs
As the name of these electrical wheelchairs suggests these are the types of wheelchairs that are aimed at ensuring that you remain in a vertical position while using them. This will not only extend your reach but will also ensure that you maintain the flow of your blood the way it’s supposed to be.
Pediatric electrical wheelchairs
These are electrical wheelchairs that are specifically designed and meant for children who have mobility issues. The good thing with them is that they can easily be adjusted to fit different ages of users. This way these children can continue to always use them for long even as they grow.
Heavy-duty electrical wheelchairs
These refer to the wheelchairs that are designed for those who have a lot of weight. These wheelchairs are not only motorized but also have a weight capacity of even up to 600 pounds.
Indoor electrical wheelchairs
Indoor electrical wheelchairs are the types of electrical wheelchairs that are designed and meant for those who spend most of their time indoors. The best part about them is that they can always be maneuvered indoors with a lot of ease.
All-terrain electrical wheelchairs
These types of electrical wheelchairs are meant for those who love to go on an adventure or even rough terrains. This is why they usually come with front wheels and even larger wheels that can comfortably roll over all types of terrains with a lot of ease. This makes them some of the best wheelchairs out there.
These types of electrical wheelchairs are designed for those who travel a lot. Since they are lightweight in nature it means that you can always carry them with you when travelling by bus or on the train thus making them some of the best electrical wheelchairs out there. Since they are easy to store inside they can comfortably stay out of sight.
How cool electric wheelchairs works
Coming with two sets of wheels an electrical wheelchair is usually propelled by the battery or electrical power. To prevent tilting and for extra stability, there are addition wheels that are usually added. An electrical wheelchair is also fitted with battery and control systems that are used to move it from one point to another with a lot of ease. For extra comfort, they also have armrests, backrests, and seats.
However, heavy-duty electrical wheelchair models are usually fitted with some additional reinforcement in areas such as the battery, engine, and even frame. As a rule, to ensure that the wheelchair works well the battery must be charged at lease every day. More so to control the wheelchair a joystick is usually used to ensure that the wheelchair runs well. More so, an electrical wheelchair must always be maintained well to ensure that it constantly remaining good working conditions. Some of the things that you need include a lever and tire pump, and several screwdrivers of different sizes. While maintaining the wheelchair it’s always important to pay attention to areas such as wheels, frames, and even the electrical system of the wheelchair.
How to use an electric wheelchair
Although most electrical wheelchairs are quite intuitive and very easy to handle, there are some recommendations that you need to follow to ensure that you make the most of them. According to National Wheelchair Services here are some of the tips that you need to keep in mind when using an electrical wheelchair.
• Mechanical brakes. You always need to ensure that your electric mobility wheelchair comes with mechanical brakes that not only function well but are also easy to use. These will ensure that you can stop your wheelchair if anything happens.
• Handling inclines. When you are using your electrical wheelchair on inclines you need to ensure that you do not drive across it. Only make suture you either ride or up or down. If you don’t do this the wheelchair is likely to tumble over.
• Obstacles. Regardless of how great your wheelchair is even a very small stone is likely to make it tumble. If you want to avoid this you need to be very careful when driving on uneven places.
• Check the battery. Before going out with you electrical wheelchair you need to check the battery well and ensure that its charged. Otherwise, if you are not careful the battery can easily die along the midway.
• Always stay connected. When using your electrical wheelchair outdoors always ensure that you carry your mobile phone to ensure that you stay connected. This is because you don’t know what kind of failure or incident that you are likely to experience along the way.
• Weather conditions. One of the worst things that you can always do is going outdoors during a snow furry or heavy rain it’s not a must. By doing this you’ll not only damage your expensive equipment but also affect your own security.
• Maintenance. Always make sure that you inspect your electrical wheelchair. More so at least one month you need to call in professionals to check it to ensure that it’s a good working condition.
FAQs about electric wheelchairs
Which electric wheelchair should you buy?
When it comes to choosing the best electrical wheelchair you need to ensure that the model that you choose has all that features that you need and is fast enough and also covers that distance that you intend to cover without any issue. It should also be fitted with adjustable armrests and backrests and more importantly, the seat should be elevated well to ensure that it’s comfortable enough for you to use.
Can electrical wheelchairs be pushed?
Yes, just like manual wheelchairs if you don’t have enough power you can always push electrical wheelchairs. However, before doing this it’s very important to release the brakes on the wheelchair to ensure that it’s not hard to push.
Can electrical wheelchair get wet?
Although electrical wheelchairs are designed for outdoor use if there are excessive sediments on the metal parts of the equipment this may lead to corrosion. It’s, therefore, very important to be careful when using them outside. More so, if it gets wet you need to wipe it with a dry towel and keep it in a warm place for at least 10 hours.
How do I charge an electrical wheelchair?
When you want to charge your electric power wheelchair you need to place it next to the power outlet and make sure you turn off the controller. You can then plug the charger into the socket and. Finally, wait until the battery is fully charged and then unplug the charger from the wheelchair.
Can insurance cover my electrical wheelchair?
Well, an electrical wheelchair can only be covered when it’s necessary and when it has been prescribed by a doctor.
How fast does electrical wheelchair go?
When it comes to choosing the right electrical wheelchair power is a very important thing to consider. Although you may desire to get the fastest electrical wheelchair for your needs, faster electric wheelchair brands are not necessarily one of the most important things. You first need to consider how you’ll be using the wheelchair and your lifestyle as well. When you consider outdoor and indoor use how you use your wheelchair the need for speed can significantly change. In addition to this, there are several environmental factors that can affect this.
An average electrical wheelchair should have a speed of 4mph. this means that depending on a number of factors this is the maximum speed that these wheelchairs an always achieve. Since every wheelchair has a maximum weight capacity that it can always carry you also need to know the weight capacity can also affect the speed of the wheelchair. Another factor that can affect the speed of an electric wheelchair for sale is also the terrain. Typically electrical wheelchair should always be used on a flat surface. So if you want to realize maximum speed always ensure that you are using your wheelchair on a flat surface. It’s also very important to equip your electrical wheelchair with a fully charged and correct battery if you want to realize maximum speed.
Also, when you are intending to use your electrical wheelchair most at home it’s very important to maintain a lower speed. This is because you’ll be navigating through doorways and hallways of your home. A lower sped setting will also significantly reduce the chances of an accident. According to National Wheelchair Services, you need to maintain a speed of 3.7mph when using your wheelchair at home. However, there are also other wheelchairs that one can use in case he is looking for faster speed. As a matter of fact, there are wheelchairs that can even achieve up to 4.25 mph of speed.
Tips to help you clean the best electrical wheelchairs
• First, you need to ensure that the electrical wheelchair is unplugged from the power base. Most wheelchairs are also fitted with levers that will ensure that the chair comes out by pulling it.
• Remove any protective over on the battery and then remove the battery from the wheelchair so you can prevent any damage that might occur on the battery.
• Use compressed air to remove any dust that may have accumulated of the electrical wheelchair. You also need to check the crevices of the wheelchair for anything that might have settled there and ensure that it’s completely removed.
• Spay the wheelchair with some form of disinfectant and allow it to remain in the wheelchair for around 10 minutes however while doing this make sure you don’t spray the electrical parts of the wheelchairs. Next, you need to wipe off the wheelchair with a microfiber towel so you can avoid scratching off the wheelchair pain.
• You also need to spay the same area using an all-purpose spray before you wipe the wheelchair clean with a microfiber towel.
• Use a small brush or toothbrush to scrub the joystick or the controller until you are sure that they are completely free of dust. You can also use the toothbrush to scrub off the tire if you want the tires to shine. Although this is an optional step it’s recommended that you do it after every few months.
• Make sure you thoroughly vacuum the wheelchair seat. For vinyl, you need to hand wish it well with clean water and mild detergent. For leather, you need to spay vinegar and then wipe it clean with a rag. More so always ensure that the wheelchair seat is completely dry before you can use it again.
• Once you have completed sanitization you need to spray the wheelchair again using compressed air so you can remove any dust particles that remained.
Check out today’s top 10 electrical wheelchair deals below…
What to consider when shopping for the best electrical wheelchair
Shopping for the best electrical wheelchair can be one of the hardest things to do especially if you don’t know what you are doing. To make the process of choosing one easier here are some of the tips that you should always keep in mind.
• Weight capacity. If you are looking to purchase the best electrical wheelchair weight is one of the most important factors that you should consider. Since this can significantly affect the performance of the wheelchair it’s always a very important consideration. Depending on the model most electrical wheelchair support a weight of around 300 pounds. However, others can comfortably support up to 450 pounds.
• Dimensions. Getting the dimensions of an electrical wheelchair will not only allow you to know how large the wheelchair is but also inform you whether it will fit you on not. Although most electric wheelchairs are designed to fit most door frames and hallways, if you are staying in a narrow home, you should always make sure that you take into account the dimensions of the wheelchair.
• Battery range and speed of the wheelchair. If you are planning to use your wheelchairs outdoors then it’s very important to know how far you can travel before the battery drains. This will prevent a situation where you are put on a challenging situation. Other factors that you should keep in mind are the effects that the battery has on the wheelchair.
• Adjustability. When it comes to adjustability, buying a wheelchair with several add on features has several benefits to the wheelchair user. Several electrical wheelchairs usually have optional add-ons that will allow you to enjoy some added functionalities such as the ability to tilt, recline and even elevate so as to provide you with additional comfort.
• Portability. If you are an individual who likes to travel a lot then you also need to consider this when shopping for the best electrical wheelchair. Taking into consideration electrical wheelchairs that are easy to transport and that are foldable will ensure that you enjoy using them when you are out there.
• Wheels. Wheels also play a very important role in ensuring that the wheelchair is stable, ahs greater speed and can easy maneuver places that you want it to. Considering this is therefore very important when you are shopping for the best electrical wheelchair for your needs.