The Best Harnesses for Wheelchairs In 2021
Are you looking for great harnesses for wheelchairs bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best harnesses for wheelchairs, please click here.
As a wheelchair user, there are some accessories that you can’t just do without. Apart from a wheelchair cup holder, wheelchair tray and other accessories, you need to have harnesses for wheelchairs. Harnesses for wheelchairs are typically devices that are designed to ensure that your upper body part is not only fully supported but you are also comfortable while using your wheelchair. Depending on an individual’s body frame and the type of wheelchair there is usually a variety of them to choose from. Generally, these harnesses are usually used together with other types of devices such as leg strap or lap belt to ensure that the person using the wheelchair is as comfortable as possible. If you are searching for the best harnesses for wheelchairs click here to read our in-depth review. Or if you’re looking for the best wheelchairs for sale, then check out our homepage.
Types of harnesses for wheelchairs
Shoulder harnesses for wheelchairs
This is a unique type of wheelchair harness that distributes pressure across 25% of greater surface areas As compared to the traditional harnesses, shoulder harnesses generally comes with body contouring shape for a comfortable fit and optional support. Coming with sleek construction, these harnesses for wheelchairs are also made with easy to clean materials that can easily be washed with a machine.
Contoured chest harnesses for seating systems
Designed to provide upper body system, contour chest harnesses for wheelchairs are also some of the best harnesses for wheelchairs out there in the market. The harness is also cushioned with closed-cell foam to provide it with durability that it needs. As compared to other harnesses for wheelchair these ones come in a range of sizes that allow the user to enjoy the best fit. For more details concerning these check www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
Children straps, belts and harnesses for wheelchair
These harnesses for wheelchairs are designed for use during support and even during transport in the vehicle. They also consist of shoulder straps and waist belts and padded straps to ensure that they are comfortable. However, since there are different types of these wheelchair harnesses before buying one you need to consider whether it fastens at the back or not.
Belt for wheelchair
The belt for wheelchairs generally come in a range of sizes for better comfort and for different wheelchairs. These belts are meant to protect the user and prevent them from slipping or falling down from the wheelchair. When it comes to choosing the right wheelchair belt it’s very important to pay attention to measurements so that it fits well. For added comfort, some wheelchair belts are padded while others are made like an average seatbelt in a wheelchair. For users who have higher risks of sliding out of the wheelchair, there are also wheelchair harnesses belts that they can always use.
Butterfly harness for wheelchair
This type of harnesses for wheelchairs is designed in such a way that it can significantly help keep the user’s upper torso in an upright position while seated in a scooter or wheelchair. As compared to other wheelchair harnesses this type of harnesses for wheelchair permanently attaches to the scooter or the wheelchair seat with the pinch buckles to ensure that there are easy exit and entry into the wheelchair. This is why they are they are some of the best harnesses for wheelchairs in the market. However, to make sure that it works well you need to know how to choose the best one. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Retractable seat belts for wheelchairs
A retractable seat belt is the type of belts for wheelchairs that are necessary for providing a stable and appropriate pelvic positioning to the seat. When properly placed, it not only controls the pelvis but also provides safety and stability for the wheelchair user. Since this belt comes with the button it will allow the pelvic belt to retract just like a car seat belt and ensure that it keeps the straps from falling down. it will also ensure that the belt stays within reach to provide users for independent operation.
Straps for wheelchair
Just like other wheelchair harnesses, wheelchair straps not only provide security but also ensure that the wheelchair user is always safe. This ensures that the wheelchair user and caregivers enjoy comfort. Since there is a range of wheelchair straps in the market it’s always very important to choose the best when shopping for one. Made of durable and soft materials these straps allow you to travel safely and securely with your wheelchair. Whether you choose a safety transfer belt, padded knee strap or wheelchair leg straps you can always rest assured that you’ll be safe and comfortable while piloting your wheelchair.
Wheelchair leg strap with Velcro
This refers to a wheelchair safety belt with a loop fastener and Velcro hook that comfortably attaches to the sides of the wheelchair so as to prevent the user from toppling forward or backward while using the wheelchair or when negotiating around obstacles. Unlike other belts, this belt is suitable for users who have a waist size of around 120 cms. Simple and very much easy to fit, it will ensure that the user has peace of mind that comes with the security of a safety belt. This type of leg strap is, therefore, suitable for those who have limited or little strengths in their lower extremities.
Harnesses for wheelchair and occupational performance
Harnesses for wheelchairs are just simply postural aids that need to be considered not in isolation but for use when there is some effective support at the pelvis. It’s therefore very important that when you are shopping for the best harnesses for wheelchairs you need to involve physiotherapies or occupational therapists to help you choose the best one. An inappropriately chosen or incorrectly sized could be used as a restraint. This risk is usually caused by the user sliding down, harness sliding up being fitting to tightly and wear and tear off. So, if you want to reduce the risk you need to prescribe and purchase it appropriately.
Safety consideration when using harnesses for wheelchairs
The first major considering when it comes to using harnesses for the wheelchairs is the safety of the individual. For most wheelchair users, harnesses for wheelchairs can provide them with comfort and safety through proper positioning. Once you are sure that harness for a wheelchair can be beneficial or your needs then it is very important to consider this.
• Make sure you use the harness together with the seat belt or lap belt that is firmly attached at al times.
• Make sure you buy the right size. When you buy an incorrect size of harnesses for a wheelchair you are likely to pose many dangers including asphyxiation, strangulation or even broken bones. The best harnesses for wheelchairs should, therefore, come with a sizing guide that includes the dimensions to allow you to check if it’s the correct one for your needs.
• You need to properly install one. If you are not qualified to install harnesses for wheelchair then you should engage another person to help you do this. Improperly installed harnesses for wheelchairs can also affect you and lead to the above problems. The best practice is to dry-fit the harness fist with the user to check whether you know how to fit it.
• It should not be used as an automotive restraint. Harnesses for wheelchairs should not be used as automotive restraints. Even if the wheelchair has a secure harness inside the vehicle, you must ensure that you secure the user well.
Harnesses for wheelchairs design
Harnesses for wheelchairs generally consist of a center section that rests against the user’s upper torso and is also attached to the wheelchair with four straps. The center straps can either be padded straps or one-piece butterfly design. While the straps are largely made of nylon the center sections are padded. Some of the harnesses for wheelchairs also come with quick-release buckles that allow for quick exit and entry. Since there are several designs of harnesses for wheelchairs you need to choose one based on your needs and what you are looking for. It’s even much better if you consider your style and the type of wheelchair that you are using before settling on. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Wheelchair installation and care tips
• Make sure that the end-user is properly seated in the wheelchair and then look for fitting hooks. You may already have some hooks but if you realize that they are poorly positioned do not use them. This is because if you go ahead and use them chances of causing an accident are very high.
• Once you’ve installed the wheelchair harness, return the user to the wheelchair and then connect the harness using the pinch buckles. If you are looking for a precise fit you may need to adjust the straps several times and this might take time.
• If the user is still not comfortable then you need to slide your hand between the center section of their body and the harness so as to ensure that the harnesses fit them just well. A comfortable harness should be able to stretch just a little.
How to take good care of harnesses for wheelchairs
To ensure that you are always safe while using them it’s very important to make sure that the wheelchair harness is well taken care of. Here are some of the guidelines that will help you.
• Before you use them, take a keen look at the harnesses for wheelchairs to check if they are worn out or frayed. Carefully inspect the stitching where the straps are attached to the center section to confirm whether they are still secure or not.
• Since the buckles should comfortably click into place it’s very important to check this. If they are not clicking well then the adjustment straps might be loose
• If the harnesses for wheelchair become dirty and soiled then you need to take steps and wash them well.
• When reattaching harnesses for wheelchairs to the wheelchairs make sure all the buckles, stitching and grommets are still secure.
Check out today’s top 10 harnesses for wheelchairs deals below…
How to choose the best harnesses for wheelchairs
Since there are several harnesses wheelchairs in the market it’s important to know how to choose one so you can always end up with the best one in the market. Some of the things that you need to consider include the user, occupational performance and the environment.
• The user. Before choosing one it’s very important that you fully understand the needs of the user. And the importance that they pace on these devices. Some of the aspects that you should consider include size, weight, how active they are sitting, core strength, pelvic stability, and posture.
• The environment. Instead of thinking which harnesses for wheelchairs that you should choose t may be prudent to think about which harnesses for wheelchair harnesses to use in a specific environment. Here are some of the things that you should consider when it comes to the environment.
• Weather. You should ask yourself whether the harnesses should be weatherproof or not
• Indoors and outdoors. You also need to ask yourself whether your harnesses for wheelchair needs high visibility and the types of clothes that you should wear them with.
• Access. It’s also important to consider whether the wheelchair user will be able to access the required equipment of utilities within a specific place and the kind of freedom that they need to move around.
• Occupational performance. When making a decision of what kind of harnesses for a wheelchair to buy it’s also important that one considers the appropriateness of the harnesses to the tasks that the wheelchair user will be engaged I while using the wheelchair. Different harnesses for wheelchairs will generally restrict and support the user’s functionality in a number of ways. Some of the activities that you need to consider include grooming and teeth brushing, playing and engaging in other leisure activities, among others.
If you are searching or the best harnesses for wheelchairs it’s always important that you keep any that you find so you can review it later. This will always give you a variety of harnesses for wheelchairs to choose from.