The Best Lightweight Folding Wheelchair In 2020
Are you looking for a great lightweight folding wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best lightweight folding wheelchair, please click here.
As a wheelchair user, one thing that you’ll realize is that wheelchairs can one of the most difficult things to transport. Apart from being big and bulky carrying them in and out of the car can also be a bit hard. Thankfully, since there are many types of wheelchairs in the market there are some that are very easy to carry in and out of the car. One of these wheelchairs is lightweight folding wheelchairs. As compared to other wheelchairs, these wheelchairs will allow you to fold them into a very small size that you can easily place in the trunk or the back seat of your car. This is according to the best lightweight folding wheelchairs reviews.
These chairs also come in either self-propelled or assisted types and can comfortably accommodate those who are 300 pounds and below. Since they are comfortable, soft, and sturdy these wheelchairs area also fitted with armrests and footrests that can either be folded or removed to provide them with a compact design. Although each model comes with its own benefits, the difference between them is usually very much minimal. They also make it easy and fast for the wheelchair user to get in and out of the vehicle. If you are shopping for the best lightweight folding wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review.
Why you need a lightweight folding wheelchair
Unlike other wheelchairs out there lightweight folding wheelchairs are very much practical hence have shown that they have a big success. Due to this, they usually provide the wheelchair user with advantages that make their daily activities a lot simpler, faster and eventually a lot of fun. Since the main purposed of wheelchairs is to boost the mobility of the user these wheelchairs do exactly that. With some weighing only 14 kilograms, these lightest folding wheelchairs are usually much more convenient to deal with, lift and transport as compared to other wheelchairs out there.
More so, because of their weight, they can conveniently be folded into small space-saving shapes. This allows them to be kept inside a compact compartment within the vehicles or even trucks thus making them very easy to transport from one place to another. More so, since these wheelchairs have collapsible frames, it means that when you are transporting them from one place to another they do not occupy a lot of space. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Generally, the movability and real performance of a wheelchair are greatly increased by the design quality and product style. The lightweight wheelchairs usually come with specialized bigger wheels that are a lot easier to turn thus requiring less energy and effort to maneuver around. In addition, as compared to a conventional wheelchair the lightweight version is much more reactive thus providing the wheelchair user with a lot more accuracy while maneuvering in very little space. They are, therefore, some of the wheelchairs that are used for sports and even other activities as well. Although these lightweight folding wheelchairs for sale are lightweight, every model and design is usually analyzed well to ensure that they provide the best functionality.
Further, since comfort is another important consideration when shopping for the best wheelchair, lightweight folding wheelchairs compact design come with the comfort that one needs. Some of them are fitted with extra padding also have seating leg rests and shock absorbers installed to ensure that they are comfortable. If you are someone who likes his or her drink you can also comfortably fit your beverage holder and other add-ons that you can easily take on and off when you don’t need them. This means according to lightweight folding wheelchair review, they are some of the best wheelchairs in the market.
Who should use lightweight folding wheelchairs?
People usually use wheelchairs for several reasons. This means even if you are not permanently disabled you can still benefit from the use of a wheelchair. Because of this reason lightweight folding wheelchairs are suitable for those who are experiencing temporary injuries or who still have some use of their limps. Such people include the elderly who may experience some difficulty when it comes to walking long distances. Lightweight folding wheelchairs are also the best solution for errands or for someone who struggles with mobility or who wants to carry out his or her grocery shopping without seeking any help from another person.
The materials used to make lightweight folding wheelchairs
The materials that are used to construct the frame of a wheelchair generally have a lot of impact on the weight of the wheelchair. Many conventional wheelchairs are normally made of steel that not only allows them to bear more weight but also sustain more damage over time. Depending on what you prefer, you may just need a slightly heavier chair. This is because the weight will always help the wheelchair to keep its momentum while being propelled from one point to the next.
On the contrary, many wheelchairs such as lightweight electric wheelchairs folding are usually made of aluminum and titanium which weighs less than thus making them easy to transport and maneuver from one point to the other. This means that if you have a moderate to mild mobility needs the best wheelchair that you need is a lightweight folding wheelchair. Lightweight wheelchairs are also made with space-saving features hence can always be kept inside the compartment of a vehicle. This means that they can significantly reduce the risk that they experience while being stored or being moved from one point to the next. Wheelchairs such as lightweight wheelchairs are therefore the best option for those who need less hassle and don’t to do away with some little comfort so they can boost their mobility.
Types of lightweight folding wheelchairs
Since there are several lightweight folding wheelchairs you can always choose the one that you are looking for depending on your needs. From standard to transport wheelchairs, custom made to sports wheelchairs there are a number of lightweight folding wheelchairs to choose. Here are some of the most common ones in the market.
Transport lightweight folding wheelchairs
Also known as transit wheelchairs these are some of the best lightweight folding wheelchairs in the market. These types of lightweight folding wheelchairs are suitable for wheelchair users who are always on the go. As compared to other wheelchairs these wheelchairs are fitted with small wheels that do not allow the user to push him or her. The good thing with these wheelchairs is that they make life very much easy to the caregiver’s since they are quite easy to push and light to lift in and out of the vehicle.
Normal lightweight folding wheelchairs
A standard manual lightweight folding wheelchair refers to the wheelchairs that are generally just basic in nature. As compared to other wheelchairs these wheelchairs come with small wheels in the front and large ones at the back. These means that these wheelchairs are very easy to push around by the wheelchair user. These wheelchairs are not only lightweight but also fully collapsible that making them very easy to travel with and even stow away. These types of wheelchairs are also suitable for those who may want to push themselves.
Custom made lightweight folding wheelchairs
This refers to the wheelchairs that generally come in two types. As compared to other lightweight folding wheelchairs these ones are meant for the users who must always be on a wheelchair. Since these wheelchairs are super lightweight in nature it means that they are some of the best to use to get around on a daily basis. To provide one with a comfortable ergonomic seating position you can always choose the type of wheelchair that you are looking for.
Sport lightweight folding wheelchair
Unlike all the other wheelchairs out there, these lightweight aluminum folding wheelchairs come with the best maneuverability. Just because one is confined in a wheelchair does not mean that they cannot enjoy their activities. With the best sport lightweight folding wheelchair one can still always enjoy all the other sports activities that they may wish to engage in.
Tilt lightweight folding wheelchairs
This refers to the types of lightweight folding wheelchairs that can allow the wheelchair caregiver to always tilt the wheelchair in the position that they want. The good thing about the lightweight wheelchairs is that you can always choose from the variety of options that are there in the market. This means that they are some of the best wheelchairs in the market.
Lightweight folding wheelchair wheels types
Lightweight folding wheelchair wheels are normally made of rims, tires, hubs and spokes and some combination of them. Typically there are three main types of wheels that are used in a wheelchair. These include pneumatic, solid and foam-filled wheelchair tires. Since these wheelchair tires have their own advantages and disadvantages you need to choose one based on your wheelchairs and your needs. For more information check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
Lightweight folding wheelchairs safety and maintenance guidelines
To ensure that your lightweight folding wheelchair always remains in good working condition you need to ensure that you maintain and take good care of it. Here are some of the guidelines that will help you take good care of them.
General safety tips that you need to know
• If possible you need to ensure that you get all the safety accessories that you need.
• While on your wheelchair always ensure that you maintain the best seating position by making sure that you are not leaning forward or even backward a lot that can end up endangering your life.
• Before getting in and out of the lightweight folding wheelchair make sure that you lock the brakes.
• Since as a wheelchair user you may be disabled or even sick it’s not advisable to put any heavy materials on the back of the wheelchair.
• Before using your lightweight wheelchair at night ensure that you put on reflective clothing to ensure that you are always safe on the road.
• Replace your wheelchair casters as often as possible. This is also one of the best things that you need to do. If your lightweight folding wheelchairs casters are moving side by side while you are using your wheelchair they might end up being so risky. So make sure that you replace it as often as you can.
• Try as much as possible to avoid wet conditions, rain, and sand as much as possible.
• Before using any wheelchair ramp make sure you check them well. In possible make sure that you ask for help.
• If you are not comfortable to use the wheelchair get another person to help you until you are confident enough to use one on your own.
Lightweight folding wheelchair maintenance tips
• Always make sure that you inspect the wheelchair parts at least once every month for corrosion, loose bolts and punctures.
• Make sure that you replace the joystick, batteries and other components of your lightweight wheelchairs as often as necessary.
• During the assembly ensure that you coat the pieces of lightweight folding wheelchairs at least once a year.
• At least once every week make sure you thoroughly wash your wheelchair with soap and detergent while paying special attention to the handles and the upholstery of the wheelchair.
How to assemble and fold a lightweight folding wheelchair
Although it may sound daunting assembling and folding a lightweight folding wheelchair may not be that hard. Here are some of the main steps that you need to follow.
• Before opening the wheelchair box you need to ask your therapists the parts and specifications that will comfortably suit your needs.
• Next, gently pull your lightweight folding wheelchair out of the box.
• Make sure you read the manual for the instructions and tips that you need for the wheelchair.
• Collect all the necessary tools that you need to use for your folding wheelchair.
• Remove the plastic from the casters and the wheelchair wheels.
• Face the wheelchair chair and push the upholstery down before checking whether it’s secure or not.
• Attach and adjust the wheelchair footrests to ensure that they are secure.
• List the backrest of the wheelchair and ensure that it clicks well into place.
• Carefully inspect the lightweight folding wheelchair to ensure that everything is assembled well and try to push it and check whether it’s working well or not.
Folding up a lightweight folding wheelchair
To fold up your lightweight folding wheelchair here are the instructions that you need to follow.
• Lift the lock found on each leg rest and footrest and set them aside.
• Fold-down the backrest of the wheelchair by lifting the locks of the wheelchair.
• Pull the wheelchair upwards o the handles on either side of the seat.
• As compared to other wheelchairs most lightweight folding wheelchairs can always be stored inside the bag comfortably. However, you need to know that this does not work for all standard lightweight folding wheelchairs in the market.
Steps to determine whether the lightweight folding wheelchair that you’ve chosen is the most appropriate
• Make sure you consult your doctor so he may tell you about the specific measurements and features that would suit you best.
• Always ensure that you consider the user’s routine, home, and local terrain.
• Do not forget to consider the user’s size, weight, and personal needs so you can find a wheelchair that fits your needs.
• Make sure you read the product labels well to confirm the model’s warranty and features.
• Check the wheelchair that you are sure suites your budget.
• Compare ratings and reviews online.
Tips for traveling with a lightweight folding wheelchair
If you are a first time user then traveling with a lightweight folding wheelchair can always be a confusing and stressful experience. However, if you want to make the process as smooth as possible here are some of the tips that can help you.
• Service and inspect your wheelchair in advance.
• Take pictures of your lightweight wheelchair including accessories before going to the airport.
• Before handing your wheelchair to the staff make sure you remove all the leg rests all the other accessories that maybe there.
• Do not forget to alert the airline, ferry company or transport station that you use a wheelchair when you are booking your travel.
• Before your trip, ensure that you know all the rules and accessible information before your trip.
• Carry your wheelchairs repair shop number so that in case of anything you can always get in touch with them.
• Before boarding with the wheelchair you need to understand that it will be thoroughly checked.
Check out today’s top 10 lightweight folding wheelchair deals below…
How to choose the best lightweight folding wheelchair
Since there are several lightweight folding wheelchairs in the market you need to know what you are looking for before choosing the best one. Here are some of the things to consider when looking for one.
• Know how often you’ll be using the wheelchair. Before buying the best lightweight folding wheelchair it’s very important to know how often you’ll be using one so you can choose one.
• Ask yourself whether you can push the wheelchair. You also need to know whether you’ll be able to push the wheelchair or you’ll have to involve another person to help you.
• Weight. Since you are looking for the best lightweight folding wheelchair considering the weight of the wheelchair is very important.
• Comfort. As a wheelchair user, comfort is among the most important things to consider. You, therefore, need to choose a wheelchair that you are sure you can always use comfortably for long.
• Fit. You also need to ensure that the wheelchair fits you well. Thinking about the fit is critical when looking for the best wheelchairs for sale.
• Price. Price is also very important to consider when shopping for the best lightweight folding wheelchair. Although you choosing an affordable wheelchair is good you need to consider the quality of the wheelchair before settling on one.
When you are looking or the best lightweight folding wheelchair it’s always a handy tip to keep any that you may consider inside the basket so you can always review it later.