The Best Travel Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great travel wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best travel wheelchair, please click here.
Are you faced with challenges getting to places because of your mobility issues? Are you too old or too tired to the extent that you can’t walk? If so then you need to understand that getting the best wheelchair can positively change your life. Since it’s what will set you in motion it’s a very important tool in your life. Whether it’s for you or your loved one you need to ensure that you get the right wheelchair for your needs. You need one that’s not only comfortable and safe but also quite useful for your needs. One of these wheelchairs is a light wheelchair for travel. But what is a travel wheelchair?
The best lightweight wheelchair for travel basically refers to lightweight a wheelchair that’s meant for traveling. As compared to other wheelchairs in the market these wheelchairs are designed in such a way that they are lighter. If you like you can also fold them so you get a small profile. Since you can collapse them and even store them as if you are storing luggage they are the perfect wheelchairs that you need for moving around. A light wheelchair for travel can also be useful when you are moving through an airport, going to a hotel and visiting virtually any destination while you are on your journey.
A suitable travel wheelchair should, therefore, be one that provides you with everything that you need while traveling. It should not be too big or too small but just designed with a small profile to ensure that it meets all your travel needs. Since every wheelchair user can purchase one it means that they can make their traveling a little bit easy. Because you don’t have to book or reserve a wheelchair carrying a travel electric wheelchair will always make your journey a lot easier. If you are shopping for the best travel wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review or check out our homepage for the best wheelchairs for sale.
Why you need to get yourself travel wheelchair
• They are lightweight. According to National Wheelchair Services, one of the best things about travel wheelchairs is that they are light in weight. This means that when you are traveling you’ll be freed a lot from remaining in place. It also gives you the chance to travel more freely and easily. By traveling and visiting several places it will significantly improve the quality of your lives. If you want to enjoy that feeling of traveling and being alone without the help of a caregiver then you need to get yourself the best travel wheelchair.
• Compact. The other good thing about travel wheelchairs is that you can always fold them up to make them compact while traveling. Since you need a wheelchair that can occupy a small space while traveling the best travel wheelchair can significantly help you. You can also store it in a tight space at home so that it’s safe.
• It’s portable. Unlike other wheelchairs in the market, the best travel wheelchair is quite portable. This means that you can easily lift it in and out of the vehicle. In and out of the airplane or even in and out of the ship with a lot of ease. For more details on this check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
• It’s easier to maneuver. At times while traveling you don’t know how your destination looks like. This is why you need to look for the best travel wheelchair that you can maneuver in narrow places with a lot of ease. Since heavy wheelchairs require you to have more strength this can significantly reduce your mobility while traveling around.
• Easy to use. If you are looking for a wheelchair that’s quite easy to use then you need to choose the best wheelchair travel. If you choose the best one in the market you’ll note that it meets all your standards during the trip thus making it the best travel wheelchair for your needs.
• Sturdy. Although travel wheelchairs are preferable because of their weight did you know that they are also quite sturdy as well? Since they are sturdy once you get one you’ll not have to worry as you’ll have gotten a very reliable wheelchair for your needs.
Who benefits from using travel wheelchair
According to travel wheelchair reviews, the ultimate aim of any wheelchair user is to be as mobile as possible and independent as possible. Individuals normally use a wheelchair for a variety of reasons and problems. Since they prefer travel wheelchairs it means that they are looking for a lightweight wheelchair that they can always use to move from one place to another with relative ease. These wheelchairs are, therefore, ideal for those who are unable to use the regular motorized wheelchair to move around. They are also suitable for those who will need some assistance when they want to move around using their wheelchairs. More so, since they are some of the lowest-priced wheelchairs in the market they are suitable for those who are looking for less costly wheelchairs that can still serve their purpose.
In addition to this, if you travel a lot then these are the types of wheelchairs that you need to choose for your needs. Apart from that travel wheelchairs are also meant for those who only need the services of a wheelchair occasionally. They are, therefore, useful for those who are out for a short time, too weak or too fragile to walk when they are recuperating from an ailment. If you travel a lot on your own travel wheelchairs is an investment that you’ll never regret at all.
Tips to help you travel with your travel wheelchair by plane
1. Make sure you arrive early. Although all travelers are advised to reach the airport at least 3 hours before their flight when traveling with a travel wheelchair you need to ensure that they reach there even much earlier. This is because as compared to other people out there you’ll take a lot of time to get through the security. More so, if you have medical supplies and bags that need to be checked this may take even more time.
2. Make sure you carry your seat cushion to the plane. Before you keep your travel wheelchair make sure that you store your seat cushion. The fact that you can sit on it during the flight means that it will greatly help you with comfort and positioning. This is very important especially if you are at risk for pressure ulcers. This will also reduce the chances of it getting lost.
3. Make sure you check the information on your tags. Once you get to the airport make sure you check for your bag and then ensure that the information on your tag matches the information of your final destination. The worst thing that can happen to you is for you and your wheelchair to end up in different destinations.
4. Put a mark of your wheelchair. Although it’s very rare for your wheelchair to get lost along the way, it’s still prudent to have a backup plan while traveling with your wheelchair. You also need to look for a secure place where the label on your wheelchair cannot come off. Besides, you need to put another tag that includes your phone number and your name. If the tag can easily come off you need to add your destination as well.
5. Remove your side guard. If your travel wheelchair has some side guards then you may want to remove them and carry them with you to the plane. This is because side guards are likely to get damaged or lost in the cargo area of the plane. This should also apply to other parts of your wheelchairs that can easily get detached or get caught up along the way.
6. Look for a wheelchair service provider who is located where you are going. Before you leave your place you need to inform your service provides and tell them that you are traveling with your wheelchair. This way they will connect you with someone there who can assist you in case you have issues with your travel wheelchair while on the trip.
7. Inquire if it’s possible to preboard the wheelchair. Since some wheelchair service providers have these services it’s not bad to ask if you can preboard. This is very important since it will not ensure that you are nor rushed while everyone else is boarding the plane. The attendants will also appreciate it because they’ll have more time to put your wheelchair into the plane.
8. If you are using a power travel wheelchair then you need to give out additional information. If you are using a power travel wheelchair then you need to give them more information such as how to use the brakes while parking and others as well.
FAQs about travel wheelchair
Choosing the best travel wheelchair can be one of the most challenging things hence there are a number of questions that also come with that. Here are some of the most common frequently asked questions about travel wheelchair.
Can I get a funding resource for a travel wheelchair?
If your travel wheelchair has been prescribed by a doctor then you’ll note that there are several funding resources that you can take advantage of. Because there are several options chances are you’ll find some bit of assistance when looking for a way through which to get a travel wheelchair.
How should I control the speed of my travel wheelchair?
The speed of the travel wheelchair is basically controlled using the rear handbrake used by the caregiver or front handbrakes used by you. Most models are also fitted with push to lock that you can use. These brakes are very important especially when you are going up and down the hill with your travel wheelchair.
What are some of the main challenges that I may encounter while using a travel wheelchair?
If you’ve never been to a place with your travel wheelchair you might find that some buildings are quite hard to maneuver. You may also encounter uneven or rough terrains which are quite hard to ride on with your travel wheelchair. The best thing to do to overcome this is, therefore, to inquire about where you are going to before so you know what to expect.
Top 5 things that you need when traveling with your travel wheelchair
Although it’s important to have a travel wheelchair for your journey there are some things that are equally important. Here are the top 5 things that you need when using a travel wheelchair.
1. Wheelchair accessories. Just like other wheelchairs when traveling with your travel wheelchair you need to have items such as cup holders and baskets as these will make it easy for you to transport items while traveling around.
2. Bed rails. Regardless of where you are going, you need to get a set of bed rails that will prevent you from rolling out of the bed and also makes it easy for you to come in and out of the bed.
3. Raised toilet seats. If you have mobility issues then you’ll find out that getting in and out of the toilet can be hard. Getting a raised toilet seat will make the process of using the toilet easier. This is especially true if there are no such arrangements where you are going.
4. Seat cushion. Spending a lot of time in one place while using a wheelchair can lead to pressure sores. You, therefore, need to have the best seat cushion that can significantly help you to prevent this. This will not only alleviate pain but also prevent chafing while using the wheelchair.
5. Folding canes. If you can be able to walk for a short distance without any assistance then you need to get a folding cane that you can always use to walk around. This will definitely make your mobility quite easier once you reach your destination.
What are some of the best materials for a travel wheelchair?
The materials used to build the frame of a wheelchair have a great impact on the weight of the wheelchair. Although many traditional standard wheelchairs are made of steel, most travel wheelchairs frames are made of aluminum to ensure that they are both sturdy and lightweight as well. Travel wheelchairs that are made of aluminum also make it quite easy to navigate office settings and tight corners. If you have mild or moderate mobility issues you need to get a travel wheelchair that weighs around 50 pounds. Since travel wheelchairs are made with space-saving folding abilities, they can always be kept safely inside a vehicle.
Check out today’s top 10 travel wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for choosing the best travel wheelchair
Whether you are shopping for a travel wheelchair or not, it doesn’t mean that you have to compromise your comfort and other luxuries as well. In fact, as the market changes many wheelchair manufacturers are now able to incorporate other features to ensure that travel wheelchairs work in the same way as other wheelchairs in the market. While the most important features to consider are the ability of the wheelchair to help you move from one place to the next, here are some other features that you need to consider.
• Weight. If you are shopping for the best travel wheelchair then the weight is perhaps one of the most important things to consider. Although the wheelchair should be light enough to carry from one place to the next it should also be sturdy enough to accommodate your weight.
• Collapsible frame. Apart from the weight you also need to consider getting a wheelchair that has a collapsible frame. Since these chairs are easy to store and transport its quite easy to travel with them.
• Maneuverability. Since travel wheelchairs are meant for traveling you need to choose the ones that are easy to maneuver. You should look or one that has good traction on gravel, grass, and other solid surfaces and is also agile in tight areas. You need to pay close attention to the way the chair moves and ensure that you choose only the best for your needs.
• Safety. As someone who has mobility issues, your safety should be your number one priority. You, therefore, need to look for a wheelchair that has features such as calf loops and seat belts. These will definitely help ensure that you stay secure and safe in your wheelchair at all times.
• Comfort. Since lightweight travel wheelchairs should still be comfortable you need to choose wheelchairs that that will make your travel as comfortable as possible.
• Wheels. If you are looking for the best travel wheelchair you also need to consider the wheels. The best wheels to choose are large wheels that you can easily push around.
• Footrests and leg rest. Since there are two major types of footrests and leg rests, it’s very important to choose the best one for your needs. The best thing is to choose a travel wheelchair that gives you the option of removing the footrests or leg rests when you don’t need them.
• Armrests. Since armrests will provide you with should and arm support that you need they are very important.
If you are shopping for travel wheelchairs the good news is that there are currently a number of them in the market that you can choose from. As long as you know what you are looking for you’ll definitely end up with the best one for your needs. If you are shopping for the best one for your needs it’s very important to keep any that you’ve come across so that you can review it later.