The Best Wheelchair Blankets In 2020
Are you looking for great blankets for wheelchairs bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best blankets for wheelchairs, please click here.
If there is one thing that wheelchair users despise then it’s cold or wintry weather. The idea of getting stuck in the snow and the legs turning purple from extreme weather is one thing that most wheelchair users dread. Thankfully, with the best waterproof wheelchair blanket, you can always prevent this. Whether it’s a bit chilly outside or you just need to get cozy these blankets for wheelchairs have you covered? Some of them even feature straps to ensure that they secure and pockets that you can always use for storage. If you are searching for the best blankets for wheelchairs click here to read our in-depth review.
Blankets for wheelchairs are ideally meant for keeping warm during the cold days or when you go outside with your wheelchair. Since these blankets are made of the softshell outside they are elastic, wind and waterproof and breathable as well. The inside of the blanket is also lined with fleece which is not only sifted but also warm as well. For more details check out www.nationalwheelchiarservices.co.uk.
Types of wheelchair blankets
Blankets for wheelchairs with isolated footmuff
The design for these blankets is adapted and made specifically for wheelchair users. This means that wheelchair users just need to put their feet inside the insulated footmuff since they are both dirt and water-resistant you don’t have to take out your shoe when using them. Once you wear them you just need to pull the rest of the blanket upwards and both your legs and upper body will be covered. Since this wheelchair blanket conforms well to the body it will get off even if you move your wheelchair by turning the hops of the wheels of the wheelchair.
Unlike other wheelchair blankets, this kind of blanket comes with wheelchair blanket cover that you can use to keep it once you’ve rolled it into a small package. This way you can always take it out anytime you need to use it. This will ensure that you are always prepared for rain or cold. If you want to clean the wheelchair blanket you can also easily clean both the inside and the outside with just a piece of cloth. It’s also suitable for machine washing hence you don’t have to worry about cleaning it at any given time.
Wheelchair blanket with pockets
This nonslip blanket with pockets will offer you with a soft feel that will ensure you feel warm no matter what. It comes with two pockets and one middle pocket pouch to provide you with even more warmth. To prevent it from getting caught at the feet it also has tapered. Its two hooks and loop tabs will also keep it securely attached and ensure that it doesn’t slip off.
Tartan wheelchair blanket
This refers to the anti-slip wheelchair blanket that are available in four different tartan designs. Suitable for wheelchair users to cover theirs lowers they have versatile uses thus making them some of the best blankets for wheelchairs. Apart from being machine washable these types of blankets for wheelchairs can also be tumbled dried.
Wrap about blankets for wheelchairs for both adults and children
If you want to control how warm you feel while using a wheelchair then this is the best blankets for wheelchairs that you need to use. The good thing about these blankets for wheelchairs is that they can comfortably be used in a number of styles of wheelchairs.
Wheelchair leg blanket
This soft cozy blanket for a wheelchair will ensure that your legs and feet remain toasty without getting on the way. Since they have a secure waist strap and elastic bottom it will comfortably insulate against drafts to provide you with all-season comfort that won’t affect your mobility in any way. Since the blanket is manufactured with easy to care 100% polyester its machine washable and tumble dry
Bundlebean wheelchair cosy
Bundlebean wheelchair cozy refers to a wheelchair blanket that fits all the needs for wheelchairs users whether they are adults or children. Since these blankets for wheelchairs do not have fiddly fixings and are not restrictive and comforting they are quite easy to fit on the wheelchairs. As compared to other wheelchair blankets, they come with big pockets that big kids love. They are also warm, waterproof and quite easy to take care of. These wheelchair blankets can also be used to comfortably fit all brands of wheelchairs with a lot of ease. In addition, they are waterproof and warm as well.
Crochet lap blanket for wheelchair
This refers to blanket for wheelchairs that has been made using an easy crochet pattern thus making it one of the best items for nursing homes especially for those who are wheelchairs. To ensure that the blanket is warm and cozy a worsted weight yarn has been used to make it. This will ensure that you and your friend remain warm. If you are looking for the perfect gift then you need to choose your favorite color or just use a mixture of colors to ensure that it comes out well.
Heated wheelchair blanket
This type of wheelchair blanket not only save energy but also ensure that you remain warm and comfortable while using the wheelchair. It’s fitted with an electric heating system and battery that will ensure that your body gets the maximum heat that it needs. Since it comes with several attachments options it’s also quite easy to attach to the wheelchair thus making it one of the best blankets to use in the wheelchair.
Huggerug wheelchair blanket
This refers to an anti polar fleece blanket that’s suitable for anyone who uses a wheelchair as well as those who require extra comfort while relaxing at home. Although the traditional blankets are meant to cover the feet and legs, with this wheelchair blanket it means that the legs will be kept warm and it will not get caught up inside the fit. Since it’s quite easy to put on it means that you can even out it on while sitting down.
DIY on how to make blankets for wheelchairs
Specially made wheelchair blankets or wheelchairs always make some of the most suitable gifts for those who are on wheelchairs. This is because the regular blankets have a tendency of being caught in the wheels. But did you know that you can make blankets for wheelchairs within a very short time and using very little money? The good thing is that you can even customize it the way you want when you design it alone. Since it’s made to stay away from the wheels it will be the most suitable wheelchair blanket for traveling or even staying at a home
Here is how to make one
• What you need
• 1 yard of polar fleece
• Sewing machine
• Spool of thread
Step 1- First you need to cut the fleece into a rectangular piece of clothing that measures 30 by 40 inches. To ensure that you cut it well you need to fold it you can also use a piece of chalk and yardstick to square it up before you cut it.
Step 2- Lay the rectangle piece of clothing vertically on the floor and ensure that the 30 inches’ side is along the top and bottom. You also need to measure 10 inches up from the bottom of the rectangle and then use chalk to mark 10 inches up to the bottom.
Step 3- Measure 12 inches from each of the corners and then mark the spots using a piece of chalk. You also need to do the same thing on the right bottom corner of the blanket in case the triangles are not even you need to make some adjustments to ensure that they are even. Once you feel that they are even you need to cut the material along the chalk lines.
Step 4- Next, you need to thread your sewing machine and stick the blanket is a zigzag manner. You also need to use the same to bind the outside edge of the blanket. As you run through the sewing machine do not pull on the fleece as doing so might end up ripping the edges of the blanket. You just need to keep a nice even tension as you stick the blankets along the edges.
Step 5- Make sure you trim the edges of the blankets well so that they turn out uniform
How to wash and maintain blankets for wheelchairs
While there are some blankets for wheelchairs such as cotton that you just need to throw inside the washing machine, there are others that must be hand-washed, spot cleaned or dry cleaned. The weave and the material are some of the things that majorly affect the way you clean your wheelchair blanket. However, when it comes to leaning your blankets for wheelchairs one of the most important things to do is to follow your manufacturer’s instructions before you can try anything. These instructions will direct you to what you need to do while cleaning the blankets. But if you don’t have the directions then these tips should help you.
How to wash blankets for wheelchairs with your hands
While using a washing machine makes leaning the blankets very easy, there are times when throwing them into the washing machine is not the best thing to do. For such times here are the steps that you need to follow.
1. Fill plastic bin or container with clean water, add some detergent and then ensure that the water and detergent are fully combined
2. Submerge the blanket filly inside the water and then knead one section at a time.
3. Once you’ve thoroughly cleaned it remove it and then squeeze it so you can remove any excess water that it might contain.
4. Repeat the above steps until you are sure that the blanket is clean
5. After pressing it to place it between any two towels so as to draw out any excess water that might be inside it.
6. Hang dry the blanket so as to keep its shape.
How to wash fleece blanket for wheelchairs
Fleece wheelchair blankets are made with the type of fabric that you can just say its high quality after some time. Whether you are dealing with low quality or high-quality fleece blankets for wheelchairs these tips should help you deal with them.
1. Using the right amount of detergent load the washing machine and then put the blanket inside.
2. Wash the blanket using cold water that’s put on a gentle circle.
3. During the rinse cycle, ensure that you add some liquid softener.
4. Once you are through with the washing hang it on a clothing line to dry. This will prevent the pilling that normally occurs on the clothesline.
How to clean wool blankets
Before cleaning your blankets for a wheelchair made of wood check to confirm and make sure that it’s not made of meant to be dry cleaned only. The most common risk that comes with cleaning wool blanket is shrinking. so it’s very important to check out this. Here are some of the main steps to follow
• Ensure that the blanket can be washed with a machine. In case it’s not then the best method to use is hand washing. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
• Set the machine to run a gentle cycle in water
• Allow it to spin for one minute and then stop the machine so the blanket for the wheelchair does not stress.
• Hang the blanket on a rack to dry.
How to wash crochet blankets for wheelchairs
Washing a crotchet blanket is just the same as washing a knitted blanket. This means that while washing it you must be careful not to distort the shape of the blanket or stretch the yarn. The best way to wash such blankets is through hand washing. However, if you want to clean your washing crochet or knit blanket in the washing machine then you should put it inside a garment or mesh bag before placing inside a machine. This is to ensure that the bag protects the blankets so that nothing happens to it.
Also, ensure that the wash cycle is in a gentle mode before you can start washing the blanket. After washing the blanket lay it flat and reshape it. Also, the best way to dry it is air drying. Although it will take a lot of time to get dry it will ensure that the material is not damaged in the process.
Additional tips and ideas to help you
• Using hard water can end up making the blankets for wheelchairs rough. So make sure you add water softener as often as possible to ensure that your blankets for wheelchairs are kept soft.
• If your blankets for wheelchairs tend to shed a lot then you need to place it inside large pillowcase before putting it inside water.
• Avoid using sheets on soft blankets
• If the blankets seem to be having a coating that makes them rough you need to add detergent to remove that.
• If you have thick or large blankets for wheelchairs its recommended that you hand wash them.
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair blankets deals below…
Tops tips for buying the best blankets for wheelchairs
Since there are several blankets for wheelchairs in the market you need to ensure that you choose the best one for your needs.
• Choose the correct size. If you are buying blankets for wheelchairs then you need to choose one that’s large enough to cover you while using the wheelchair. The blanket should neither be too large nor too small.
• Choose the right fabric. Since there are different blankets for wheelchairs fabrics out there it’s important to choose the right fabric. Remember all fabrics have there on advantages and disadvantages hence it’s important to know what you are looking for before choosing one.
• Consider the weave. Just like the fabric blankets for wheelchairs have different weaves hence it’s important to know what you are looking for. This will definitely ensure that you get the best.
• Durability. As you may already know the weave and the fabric of the blanket for a wheelchair will have a direct effect on its durability. How often you use your blankets for a wheelchair will also affect its durability. It’s, therefore, important to know what you are looking for so you can choose the best. This is very important when searching for the best wheelchairs for sale.
• Color and pattern. Depending on what you are looking for it’s important to choose blanket color and pattern that you want. However, this should largely depend on your tastes and preferences.
• Cost. Just like any other product out there you need to consider the cost of the blanket before you can commit your cash. However, you should always ensure that you buy quality blankets for wheelchairs.
If you are shopping for the best blankets for wheelchairs always ensure that you keep any that you are you’ve found so you can review later. This will always ensure that you get the best.