The Best Wheelchair Cushions In 2021
Are you looking for a great wheelchair cushion bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best wheelchair cushions, please click here.
Do you know that according to WHO, there are close to 650 million people worldwide living with disabilities? Out of that population, around 10% need a wheelchair so as to live a normal life. These statistics shows how important a wheelchair is to the life of a person. However, those who use wheelchairs also need comfort. Thankfully, with the best 16-inch wheelchair cushion, 16 x 16 wheelchair cushions, and 18 x 18 wheelchair cushion these people can enjoy all the comfort that they need while using their wheelchairs. But what are wheelchairs cushions?
These refer to accessories that are specifically designed to help wheelchair users to position themselves while seating down. Designed using a variety of materials and available in different shapes and thickness, these cushions reduce the risk of pressure ulcers and skin breakdown while encouraging posture control encouraging proper positioning. If you are shopping for the best 22-inch wheelchair cushion and 4-inch wheelchair cushion then click here to read our in-depth review.
Why you need to get a wheelchair cushions
Have you ever imagined watching a movie while sitting on a seat without a wheelchair cushion? For those who are in a wheelchair, this discomfort is too common especially if they don’t have a comfortable and supportive seat cushion. Not only is feeling uncomfortable for long a hassle but it can also affect the well being of someone who uses a wheelchair. If you have ever experienced the pain and discomfort then you understand that it can significantly affect one’s demeanor.
If you or someone in your life use a wheelchair occasionally or all the time and doesn’t have the best amputee wheelchair cushion or best wheelchair cushion for pressure relief then it’s high time you find them one. Even if they have one it may not provide them with the support and comfort that they need. For more information about this, check out www.nationalwheelchiarservices.co.uk.
Whatever type of wheelchair that you use best wheelchair cushion for preventing pressure sores is a very important feature. Although some people think that it’s a luxury item it should not be viewed as such. However, many other wheelchairs such as nonpower wheelchairs come with a fold-up design for easier storage and transport.
Although this design is convenient it doesn’t allow much comfort or support in the sling style. Without using the best wheelchair seat cushion you know how uncomfortable a wheelchair can be. For instance, without using cushion there is the risk of developing pressure sores. These sores are likely to develop when the bones press against the muscle tissues especially over a long period of time without repositioning or movement. The longer the amount of time the more likely the chances of developing these pressure sores.
Although we often hear about pressure sores among those who are confined to bed even those who use wheelchairs are prone to this. These sores are more likely to form on the buttocks, thighs, and the area around the tail bone. Apart from preventing pressure sores, wheelchair cushions can help one to get a better posture and help keep the spine in proper alignment. Improper alignment can result especially when a wheelchair is not adjusted well because of issues such as sciatic pain and chronic pain.
Other benefits of getting the best wheelchair cushion include less muscle strain, reduced leg pain and feeling better overall including mental health. You must know that anytime your body is feeling good you are at peace yourself. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
The other important benefit of wheelchair cushion is postural stability. Even if you are an amputee or you are able to walk the right wheelchair cushion will significantly help you to support your spine. If your body already has some asymmetry then you need to be supported in such a way that you can decrease any spinal deformity that you may have. For manual chair users, if your chair has the stability that you need it also means that you can push the wheels with more strength and confidence. If you have a wrong seating position it means that you’ll have a bad posture while using the wheelchair. Luckily with the best comfort care wheelchair cushion, you’ll definitely get the posture that you need to use your wheelchair.
Types of wheelchair cushions
Just like other technologies out there foam technology has come a long way. Instead of the soft airy stuff of the past, foam now comes in a range of densities with varying degrees of memories that allow them to hold their shapes while you are seating on them thus contributing to their stability. The new foam cushions will not only adapt to a new shape but will also spread the pressure across the surface. Layered to their various properties of softness, different types of foams can be used to make wheelchair cushions. As compared to other wheelchairs cushions foams are relatively inexpensive. The only disadvantage of foam wheelchair cushions is that they can wear out very first.
Gel wheelchair cushions
These are perhaps the best wheelchair cushions currently in the market. These cushions are made with highly engineered gel fluids that are placed in pouches and are usually attached to the foam base so that the cushion can comfortably conform to the pressures that are placed inside them. Due to this gel cushions will provide you with one of the best pressure distribution that you need. To ensure that your legs remain stable many gel cushions will also provide you with supplemental inserts. Since your knees might fall apart or together such an accessory will ensure that that they are kept straight so that your overall stability and posture are taken care of.
Air or dry wheelchair flotation cushions
These are the types of cushions that usually support the body entirely in the air. These types of cushions have been made using a small group of interconnected rubber balloons that have been arranged in rows. However, for those who move around a lot of air cushions can be less stable. More so the balloons used in air cushions can also be punctured and leaks may also occur in the cushions. Although fairly heavy, rubber is used to make patching them is a bit easier as compared to the gel designs. The hardest part of patching them is submerging the cushion inside the water so as to find the leak. The biggest disadvantage of these cushions is that they require a lot of care when it comes to maintaining them. It’s also important to regularly check the pressure so as to ensure that they are in good condition.
Urethane Honeycomb cushion
These are the most recent development when it comes to wheelchair cushions. Since these cushions are made of many individual cells like beehive activity, they can comfortably distribute the weight heavenly. However, they have the risk of an air bladder being punctured or leaking gel. Since these cushions have many open spaces they can significantly allow air to travel effectively within the cushions. The good thing is that this design will significantly help to protect the skin against breakdown as the moisture is prevented from collecting and the skin is kept cooler. As compared to other wheelchair cushions these ones are not only light in weight but can also absorb shock and provide one with the support that’s needed. Since these cushions can be thrown into your dryer or your washing machine they are the most suitable for those who are faced with inconsistency issues such as where the wheelchair cushions may be soiled from time to time.
Hybrid wheelchair cushions
Among all the wheelchair cushions out there this is perhaps the most advanced and high performing cushions in the market today. Their function and design are often based on the feedback of individuals and many years of testing. If you regularly spend many hours in a wheelchair or you sit for long in one position then these wheelchair cushions maybe some of the best ones. The air cells, the contoured base, and their moisture control cover are just some of the features that make the best wheelchair cushions in the market. More so, their design usually allows for displacement and optimal immersion of the most important body muscles. With these wheelchair cushions, your pelvis area will experience the best pressure distribution and increased blood flow while providing you with soft tissue and skin protection.
Alternating air pressure cushions
If you are intending to prevent skin ulcers and pressure sores then alternating pressure sores are perhaps the best. These unique wheelchair cushions will provide one with constant movement that will promote proper blood circulation throughout the body while ensuring that one gets enough support. These wheelchair cushions also come with a portable battery system that will supply power to the cushions and ensure that the power lasts for several hours. However, as compared to other wheelchairs cushions these ones are a bit expensive. If you need this kind of technology then you’ll realize that it’s worth it
Why you need to choose gel wheelchair cushion
As you’ve seen about there are several types of wheelchair cushions in the market. The main thing that differentiates these wheelchair cushions is the material that has been used to make them. So why should you opt for gel wheelchair cushion over other types of cushions out there? Here are some of the benefits that you’ll enjoy with gel wheelchair cushion.
• They will provide you with enough comfort.
• They ensure that you have proper pressure distributing.
• As compared to other wheelchair cushions they have cooler temperatures.
• They are well constructed and durable at the same time.
Since these wheelchair cushions are typically made of gel placed in individual pouches and attached to the foam base they actually conform to the shape of the body and provide one with the kind of support that they need thus making them some of the best wheelchair cushions in the market. Another benefit of using them is that many of them have a weight capacity that may go even up to 500 pounds thus allowing them to accommodate even those who are heavy in weight.
How to take care of wheelchair cushions
Since there are different types of wheelchair cushions you need to know how to maintain them depending on the one that you’ve chosen. For instance, if you have a simple foam cushion you only need an occasional cleaning that ones with regular use. The majority of wheelchair cushions are also sold with washable and waterproof materials that should be cleaned as often as necessary.
With the more technologically advanced wheelchair cushions, you’ll realize that cleaning procedure includes things such as recharging the batteries and releasing air. This is, therefore, something that you should consider when looking for the best wheelchair cushion. This is very helpful especially if you don’t want to be bothered by regular wheelchair maintenance procedures.
Since quality is important the more the wheelchair cushion cost the longer the kind of warranty that it comes with. This means that if you experience a defect in workmanship or premature breakdown you can be able to return the wheelchair cushion to the manufacturer for repair or for replacement with a new one. However, the kind of warranty that you get will generally depend on the wheelchair cushion that you’ve chosen and where you’ve bought it from.
Some tips to help you take good care of the wheelchair
• Before buying a wheelchair, it’s important to speak with a healthcare service provider to advise you on the best wheelchair cushion that you need to buy.
• You may also consider getting physical examination so you know the best wheelchair cushion that fits your health and body standards.
• Make sure that the wheelchair cushion that you choose is not only clean at all times but is also in good shape.
• You should know where and you keep your wheelchair cushion so that it can remain in good workings shape for long. This is a very important consideration when looking for the best wheelchairs for sale.
• Make sure you replace your wheelchair seat cushion as often as possible according to the advice of the manufacturer. One of the worst things that you can ever do is to continuously use your wheelchair cushion even when they’ve already become defective in the process.
• If you are using air wheelchair cushions then you need to ensure that you confirm inflation on a daily basis.
• If there is a chance that you may expose your wheelchair cushion to fluids then you need to get the best cushion cover.
• Since seat cushion height may add to the height of the wheelchair you need to ensure that you choose only wheelchair cushion that you are comfortable with.
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair cushions deals below…
How to choose the best wheelchair cushions for your needs.
Although most wheelchair cushions come with the same design concept there are several of them in the market. Before buying one there are a number of factors that you need to consider. Taking care of some little consideration and doing some research is, therefore, one of the best things to do if you are looking for a happier purchase. Here are some of the things that you need to consider.
• Size. Just as wheelchairs come in different sizes so are the wheelchair cushions. This means that if you buy one that’s too big or too small you may not help make your seat comfortable. As a matter of fact, you might just end up making your condition worse. It’s not also advisable to buy a larger one with the idea that you’ll cut it as this might end up ruining it completely. The best way to go about this is to measure your wheelchair first before you can go out there to shop for a cushion.
• Weight capacity. Although most wheelchair cushions are designed to have a weight capacity of 500 pounds not all of them have this. It’s, therefore, important to choose the choice cushion once you’ve know n the weight of the person who is going to use the wheelchair. Instead of constantly buying one cushion after another you need to be careful so you buy wheelchair cushion that you are sure will last. Since there are plenty of them in the market you should be in a position to choose the best one or your needs.
• Positioning needs and mobility. Maybe you have noticed that some wheelchair cushions are flat while others are contoured. These design features are not only meant for personal tastes and preferences but are also meant for positioning and mobility needs of the individuals. For instance, if you are looking for a cushion that allows you to move your body freeing then you need to opt for a flat wheelchair cushion.
• The ease of securing it. Although wheelchair cushions are heavier it’s important to buy one that’s easy to secure. For instance, it’s important to choose a wheelchair cushion with straps that can be used to secure it in the wheelchair and prevent any movement.
• The ease of cleaning. Since you need to be as hygienic as possible the kind of wheelchair cushion that you choose should be easy to clean. The best way to go about this is to buy wheelchair cushions with cushion covers more so the cushion cover should be fitted with breathable fabric and should also be waterproof especially if its made with some foam parts.
• Warranties and return policies. One thing that most people overlook when shopping for the best wheelchair cushion is checking the warranty or return policy. This is important so that in case anything happens to the wheelchair you can always return it back.
It’s also important to always keep any wheelchair cushion that you find so that you can review it later. This will ensure that you end up with the best one in the market.