The Best Wheelchair Ramps In 2020
Are you looking for a great wheelchair ramps bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best wheelchair ramps bargain, please click here.
Although having a wheelchair can be one of the most important things if you are disabled, accessing the homes of family members, friends and the community can be a challenge because of the steps and thresholds in those homes. In such a situation you need to get a wheelchair device known as wheelchair ramps. With the best wheelchair ramps, you can easily and comfortably access these places without any issue at all.
Wheelchair ramps are basically meant for those who are either disabled or too old to move around. Because of their limitations, such people are usually forced to use wheelchairs. A wheelchair ramp is, therefore, an inclined plane that’s installed in place of stairs so as to allow wheelchair users to be able to access some of these places that they could not have been able to access before.
With several ramps available in the market one can always choose the one that they feel is the best for their needs. Since there are different kinds in the market getting the right one requires that one browses well and searches thoroughly. Also depending n the brand and the model the prices of these wheelchair ramps also varies from one wheelchair ramp to another. If you are shopping for one you only need to check the online stores and settle for a wheelchair ramp that you are looking for as this will assist you to get the one you are looking for. If you are shopping for the best wheelchair ramps click here to read our in-depth review about the best ones.
Why a wheelchair ramp is must have
One of the things that you should know about wheelchair ramps is that they are quite practical and cost-effective solutions to boost the lives of those who are already in a wheelchair. According to National Wheelchair Services, wheelchair ramps allow wheelchair users to gain independence and freedom as they navigate easily in and out of their homes. Since there is a variety of them in the market you can always choose the right one for your needs. Here are some of the benefits that you can enjoy by getting the best wheelchair ramps.
• They help you to navigate the doorways easily. Several new homes are usually designed with thresholds and obstacles on the doorways. This means that if you are a wheelchair user you’ll always have a hard time going through these thresholds since you require a lot of effort to overcome them. Thankfully, with the best wheelchair ramps, one can always glide over the obstacles with relative ease and access the houses.
• Ramps can allow you to enter the homes safely. Some of the most difficult houses to enter are the ones that have stairs leading up to the front doors. Although caretakers and family members may assist the members to access these places in some instances they are not around. This means when these people are not around the wheelchairs users’ independence can significantly be hampered. By installing the best wheelchair ramp you can always give the wheelchair user the independence that they need to access into these places without any assistance.
• Independence. Most wheelchair users always want to be as independent as possible so they can navigate and get into the houses without any assistance. The best wheelchair ramps can always be installed inside and outside the house and in the car to allow these people to access these places without any issue. This means for users who need to be on their own the best thing that they can is to get the best wheelchair ramps.
• With the best ramps, they can access the bathrooms alone. As a wheelchair user, you understand that the bathrooms can be some of the most difficult places to navigate. Thankfully, there are several wheelchair ramps that are meant to specifically help wheelchair user to comfortably access the bathrooms without any help.
• They help with entering and exiting a car. Nowadays, there are wheelchair ramps that are specifically meant for entering and exiting cars, vans, and SUVs. The type of wheelchair ramps used ideally depends on the car, wheelchair user and safety measurements. Wheelchair ramps that are designed for automobiles are designed in such a way that they allow wheelchair users to enter and exit the cars easily so they can even drive their cars alone without seeking any assistance.
• They provide one with privacy. Based on the situation of every individually some wheelchair users love to be as independent as possible. Because of this those who have wheelchair ramps installed in their homes can always live a private life. This means that other family members and even caretakers do not have to visit them regularly. This will ensure that they are free to live their lives the way they want.
• They can run their errands easily. With the best wheelchair ramps, wheelchairs users can have the freedom to run their errands without any issues. For instance, tasks such as going to the mailbox, grocery shopping, and running other small errands become easy provided they have the best wheelchair ramps.
• They can enjoy safety on a rainy day. If you are a wheelchair user then you understand that navigating through puddles of water after rain can be really difficult. Wheelchair ramps can, therefore, provide you with the best alternative of accessing the grassy area in front of your house on a rainy day.
• Kitchen access. If you install the best threshold ramps you can comfortably access your kitchen and even cook without seeking any assistance thus making the ramps some of the best things to have.
• They are durable and strong. Wheelchair ramps such as aluminum ramps are not only lightweight but also strong and durable hence can last as long as you want. Since they have been designed for extensive use they usually hold their own in all kinds of environments as long as you install them well.
• The best wheelchair ramps increase the release value of the home. If you install the best wheelchair ramps you can significantly boost the resale value of your home by making it more appealing to the buyers. This is especially true if the new buyers have family members who depend on the use of a wheelchair. This, in the long run, can ensure that you enjoy more financial benefits.
Types of wheelchair ramps
With a variety of wheelchair ramps in the market, it’s always important to know the types so you can choose the right ones for your needs. Here are the different types of wheelchair ramps that you need to know.
Permanent wheelchair ramps
Ordinarily, wheelchair ramps can either be permanent or semi-permanent or portable ramps. Well as compared to other ramps permanent wheelchair ramps are usually constructed in such a way that they remain that way forever. Such ramps are constructed in places where they are likely to be used by the people who have disabilities. Although the perfect choice of material for these ramps is concrete there are some that can be built with steel and wood. For the convenience of the user, it’s also advisable to construct rails on these ramps so that those who are using the ramps can be as safe as possible.
As compared to permanent ramps these ramps are meant for temporary usage. They are, therefore, only designed for a short period of time such as during trade fairs, exhibitions and others such as events. These ramps can also be installed in places where wheelchair users are expected to arrive for a certain occasion. Mostly, these ramps usually built using wood and steel although they are a bit expensive, they are usually preferred because they are stronger, heavier and sturdier. Although concrete is not a common choice for these ramps in some instances they are usually used.
Portable wheelchair ramps
These are also the other category of wheelchair ramps. Since they can be moved from one place to another they provide the greatest independence to all the wheelchair users. Since they are portable some of them can even be folded to help minimize their sizes. The most common material used to construct these ramps is aluminum as they are lightweight and strong as well. The height of these wheelchairs ramps also differs from one ramp to another.
Car wheelchair ramps
These wheelchair ramps that are specifically meant to be used inside the cars. These kinds of wheelchairs ramps are designed such that they can help the wheelchair users to comfortably get in and out of the vehicles with relative ease. These wheelchair ramps can also be customized to fit specific vehicles so as to make the movement in and out of the vehicle easy. Those who own vehicles should always consider installing portable ramps into their vehicles.
Rubber threshold wheelchair ramps
These are perhaps among the best wheelchair ramps in the market. If you want to get over thresholds on the doorways and sliders then these are the best ramps that you should install. Made mostly from recycled materials these wheelchair ramps are not only looking great but also durable in nature. As heavy wheelchair ramps, they will always stay in place once they’ve been installed thus making them the best. Since they come in different heights you can always choose the ones that you want.
Portable suitcase wheelchair ramps
These types of wheelchair ramps usually come in several lengths and styles and typically range from 2 feet to 6 feet. To make it easier for you to travel with them they can always be folded into two. Based on the model they can also comfortably support up to 800 lbs. Their non-slip surface and aluminum construction also make them the most suitable ramps for scooters and wheelchairs alike.
Telescoping Wheelchair ramps
Unlike other wheelchair ramps out there these ramps are made of nonskid and sturdy finishes that thus making them some of the strongest wheelchair ramps in the market. These wheelchairs ramps are also lightweight and compact hence easy to move and store. Since they telescope in and out this feature usually makes them even more compact. For more information on this check www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
Pathway wheelchair ramps
These wheelchair ramps provide temporary or permanent secure solutions for scooters and wheelchairs. Coming in different sizes all of them features none skid surfaces thus making them some of the best wheelchair ramps out there. Like other wheelchair ramps, they are suited for areas that only have one or two steps. Some of them have also been fitted with optional handrails.
Custom wheelchair ramps
These wheelchair ramps can be constructed from concrete, hardwoods and other materials out there. These wheelchair ramps are usually built in such a way that they have handrails and high weight capacity to assist the caregivers. These wheelchair ramps are suitable for commercial places and homes that require attractive and permanent solutions for scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers especially in places that get a lot of use.
Modular wheelchair ramps
If you are intending to stay somewhere for a longer duration then you need to install a more substantial portable wheelchair ramp. As some of the best wheelchair ramps these ramps usually allow access when there is a significant number of stairs to the door. These ramps can also be built with a platform for access at the bottom and the top. During the installation process, you can always ask for handrails to be fitted. You can also ask them to add some stairs for the public pr other members of the family.
Folding wheelchair ramps
These refer to wheelchairs ramps that are made of either bi-fold or tri-fold panels. Fitted with a hinge between the panels. Although the bi-fold overcome with one fold, the tri-folds ones come with three folds. Since these ramps are fitted with handrails they are not ADA complaints. These wheelchair ramps are only meant for personal use. They can, therefore, be used to access wheelchair accessible vans or can be placed over a small set of stairs. That leads to your home.
Wheelchair ramps care and maintenance for scooters and power wheelchairs
• When using the wheelchair ramps make sure you use the lowest speed possible.
• You need to avoid going up or down the ramp or reverse backward when using the ramp.
• If you must change direction while using the wheelchair ramp make sure you reach the end of the ramp before changing direction.
• Caution in case of rain, snow, or bad weather
• Since ramps are inclines they may become a bit slippery during rain or wet weather. When using a ramp during this condition you need to exercise a lot of caution.
• When the ramp is icy or wet you need to be extra cautious
• Make sure that you keep the wheelchair ramp clean and unobstructed.
• Normal daily usage of wheelchair ramps
• Never modify the wheelchair ramp system unless there is a technical around.
• Do not place any electrical cords on the wheelchair ramps.
• Since wheelchair ramps are no playgrounds do not allow the children to play on them.
• When using these wheelchair ramps you should not exceed 850 lbs.
• In case the wheelchair ramps are damaged do not use them.
• After dark, you need to ensure that you light up the ramp area.
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair ramps deals below…
How to choose the best wheelchair ramps
Since there are several wheelchair ramps in the market it’s important to know how to choose the best. Here are some tips to help you chose one.
• Know the primary user. This is perhaps one of the most important steps when shopping for the best wheelchair ramps for your needs. This is because by taking the size and weight of the user into consideration you can significantly choose the right wheelchair ramp for them.
• Know the device that the person will be using. It’s also important to know the mobility devote ha the person will be using. For instance, if the person is intending to use heavier wheelchairs or scooters then you need to get wider ramps with greater weight capacities.
• The time duration that the wheelchair ramp will be needed. It’s also very important to know how long the user will use the ramp. If he is intending to use the ramp for a short period of time then the best ramp to install is a temporary ramp. However, if he is planning to use the wheelchair ramp for long then you need to install a permanent wheelchair ramp.
• Ask yourself where you intend to use the ramp. It’s also very important to know where the ramp is going to be used. For instance, are you looking for a wheelchair ramp for your home, family or for your doorway? Each of these settings will determine the kind of wheelchair ramp that you need to choose for your needs.
• What special features do you need? You also need to know whether you require special features for the wheelchair ramp. There are some wheelchair users that require special features such as handrails that must be fitted onto the wheelchair ramps. You, therefore, need to consider this when looking or the best wheelchair ramps.
There you have it. Everything about wheelchair ramps. If you are looking for one it’s important to keep any that you find around so that you can review it later on. This will ensure that you get the best wheelchair ramp for your needs.